Travel Clinic

A passport and visa

Travelling abroad? Contact us as soon as you book to check whether you need any vaccines or health precautions. Ideally we need a minimum of 4 weeks (6 weeks or more is better) to ensure that any vaccines you need are given with sufficient time to be effective. However, even if you have a last minute deal, still talk to us.

You will need to complete a Travel Vaccination Form and return it to reception, who will book you an appointment with the nurse. The nurse will check what immunisations you require prior to you attending.

We offer a full range of travel immunisations, including advice on protection against malaria.

We are a designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre registered with the National Travel Health Network and Centre (many countries require travellers to hold a Yellow Fever certificate. The vaccine and certificates can only be issued at designated centres.)

Why Get Immunisations for Your Holiday?

Did you know that nearly 1 in 4 British Holidaymakers don’t get vaccinations despite travelling to areas have life-threatening diseases against which we can protect.

It seems pointless spending lots of money on a holiday, then skimp on your health. Many of these bugs can make you very unwell, some even cause permanent disability or kill.

What will I have to pay for?

Not all travel vaccinations are available free on the NHS, even if they're recommended for travel to a certain area. As a general rule, the following travel jabs are usually free:

  • tetanus, diphtheria and polio booster
  • typhoid
  • hepatitis A and some combined vaccines, such as combined hepatitis A and B
  • cholera

You almost certainly have to pay for vaccinations against meningococcal meningitis, hepatitis B, yellow fever, rabies, tuberculosis, Japanese encephalitis and tick-borne encephalitis.

You are advised to check with the practice nurse before having vaccinations.

Fit for Travel?

For most people, travelling is no problem.

However, if you have a long term medical condition you are advised to speak to us before you book a holiday abroad.

Before You Go

We advise all travellers to ensure that they have sufficient medical insurance to cover emergency medical treatment and repatriation. Remember that medical costs abroad can be very expensive (the father of someone at the surgery was charged $1500 for a head MRI in the USA!)  The NHS does have reciprocal agreements with a number of countries, but it worth reading what you are covered for and under what circumstances you will need to pay. LINK:

If you are travelling in the EEC, you should carry an European Health Insurance Care (EHIC). You can apply for free by applying directly through the NHS at There are unofficial websites available that will charge you if you go through them.

The EHIC does not necessarily permit you to have free treatment at the time you need it, so check out the country-by-country guide before you travel. And if you have to pay, make sure you keep all receipts.

File attachments: